Apple iTunes

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Damn the Torpedoes - Hopaholic Goes Under with Sierra Nevada's Torpedo


This week, I tried a new liquor store. Always an adventure. Although, I must admit, I wasn't expecting much, as this one was attached to my local Shaw's supermarket. However, it's brand new, so I figured it was worth a shot, and plus, I had missed the train and so to get out of the driving snow for a minute, I figured I'd check it out.

I was expecting a lot of, shall we say, ohhhh, crappy beer. The kind my dad drinks, basically. If I got lucky, maybe I would score some Winter Warmer and be on my way. But no, I was shocked to see actual good beer, like Geary's and Magic Hat, and something else caught my eye. Something I had never seen: a bottle labeled Sierra Nevada, but a brand I was not familiar with. Torpedo? Something new? I must try it!

Sierra's newest offering is (as stated on their website, as well as the bottle) "a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops." In other words, quite tasty. I find the term "American IPA to be a little odd, and usually the beers are odd as well. But this one was different. It was far superior than any American IPA I've ever had. The magic number on this one? A very strong 7.2% alcohol by volume. Right in the zone. And the good news? It's not seasonal. That's right, this puppy is their first full-production IPA and their first big change to their year-round line-up in over ten years.

I know that seasonal beers are always nice and all (absence makes the liver grow fonder...), but guys like me need beers like these to help us through these cold, winter months. And so, Sierra Nevada, once again, I salute you.

No comments:

Custom Search